Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Ximena Esparza, 5

As part of the Hunter College Dream Team we share our room with other clubs. One of these clubs is the Hunter Sustainability Project. I'm not involved with them but since we share the space I get a glimpse of the projects they do and their everyday habits. They promote the use of reusable water bottles and have glass jugs full of fresh water in the fridge. Their devotion inspires me to want to take care of the environment. They even have recycling bins in the room. One of the corners of the room is being used to build a sectional sofa from recycled materials and it's so creative, I envy them. I try to reuse things in our side; I make scrap paper out of flyers that were never given out and save energy. Throwing out a plastic bottle leads me to an existential crisis, sound familiar?, and I want to save it and use it as a vase. Then, I wonder if blue bins and stainless steel bottles matter anyway and question whether or not we can be saviors and if so what are we trying to save anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment