Monday, March 31, 2014

Ximena, 7

The term of ecofeminism caught my attention a lot because as a person that believes herself to be a feminist, I could not exactly understand how the topics could relate. I looked up the topic and came across a wonderful ted talk by Julia Mason that delighted and at the same time really disturbed me.

She intertwined the two in a way I had not thought of: we assign our environment feminine characteristics and refer to it as Mother Nature, it is no coincidence that we treat the feminine sex and environment the same. Where men stand high and make decisions in regard of the lives of women and our environment.

This comparison struck me because it made so much sense. I'm constantly annoyed by how misogynistic our every day life is and how much we pollute our planet and this new concept encompassed my concerns and more.

Mason touched on a couple of more points like that one of breast milk. The pollution that surrounds a pregnant mother also contaminates her breast milk which potentially harms the baby she carries. She also talked about the term "pink washing" which reminds me of that reading we did where the term "brown washing" came up. These are similar in the fact that corporations change the color of their products be it green to appease the environmentalists or pink during breast cancer awareness month. However, in actuality these corporations do not wholeheartedly support any of the causes and their products may contain thinks that pollute women's organisms or the earth. It's recommended to do a bit of research before buying yogurt in October or "recycled" school supplies.

No comments:

Post a Comment