Saturday, March 8, 2014

Gabriella Grimes Entry #4

I'm feeling a little bit of a love/hate relationship with Nature at the present. This class is definitely something I'm not used to and it's a very new experience. Of all my years of school, I don't think I've ever had to write a paper on anything really concerning nature. In any assignment I had based on a nature reading, the only work that came along with it was analyzing the author's views rather than forming my own opinions. It's sort of bittersweet. I realize that there are a lot of things I should have known before about nature and the environment that I do know now. I didn't know there was such a thing as Anthropocentrism until this semester, and of course I had no idea there was such a thing as Eco-Feminism, but now I feel I can confidently use these terms in some way which is a pretty rad thing. Writing the first paper was definitely a challenge for me, honestly. Before writing the paper, I didn't have as good of a grasp on some of the concepts we were learning in class, but closely reading the Quammen piece actually helped me a lot. Better yet, I've been able to form my own opinions on things which weren't even a little bit relevant to me before 2014. I've gotta say, even though I felt nervous having my essay edited by the class, I'm really happy I was able to have that done. I think my essay is much better than it was before and it's really amazing to look at my first draft and all the concepts I was trying hard to understand and all the thoughts I was trying to organize whereas in my final draft my writing is more confident and concise.

Also I've realized I'm the person who has put up three consecutive posts. This will be my legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment