Sunday, March 30, 2014

Gabriella Grimes Entry #7

I've been thinking a lot about how the environment can warp our perceptions of certain things as well as mood. Spring is often seen as the season of love and rebirth, which makes sense. After three months of harsh cold and grey skies, it only makes sense to want to feel happier and new when warmer weather rolls around. The phrase "Spring Cleaning" still makes me cringe to this very day because I hate cleaning at first and then I get obsessive and won't finish cleaning until about five hours later. But I digress. Nature can seriously mess up how we view things and I feel that most of us aren't even aware of it. On a sunny day, my friends can be the loveliest people to be around whereas on a day on which it is cold and raining, they are the most horribly annoying people I have ever met in my entire life. I'd say that the one time when the environment changed my views of a person the most is the Summer before high school when I went away to Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania to study psychology. There was a girl there who I was practically head over heels for. It turned out that she lived not too far from my home in the Bronx as she lived in Brooklyn, but when I saw pictures of her on the concrete rather than the grass, she didn't seem as appealing. It was as if the butterfly I had known fluttering around on the grassy quad had migrated to a street sign and was now a moth. It's honestly just very weird that this can even happen. On the flip side, a guy I dated a couple years ago still looks more appealing on a city sidewalk than in Central Park. Or maybe it's an aspect of what I associate with different environments; for example I wouldn't associate a river with a large grey building, nor a truck with a forest. Maybe my views of nature and the environment in general is constantly morphing to suit new things I've learned or experienced. Huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment