Monday, March 17, 2014

Narmada Gobin, entry #6

For class, we have been reading some pretty intense readings and even more intense interpretating. It's nice to read them without giving each sentence a meaning. While reading Melville I knew with the questions given that there was a meaning to the whale but it was not what I thought. I figured that whiteness according to the author shouldn't be thought of as superior. He found lots of flaws where white represented it in a bad way. However, I thought he was just using examples to say terrible things about the color white. When I finished reading the passage I was one hundred percent sure that it was about racism. I got the vibe that this man wasn't a racist person and he was explaining that I assume slavery was not a good thing. It was around the time of slavery when they book was written so that also gave me the impression that this might be about blacks versus whites. Racism was a very common thing for people during this time. Individuals had to be very brave to say what they really felt. In the class it wasn't brought that the text had any indications of racism or slavery so my interpretations was not accurate. It's so interesting to me they way that these authors use nature to describe such common every day problem. It's amazing how he uses a white in this text to represent whiteness as not being as superior as everyone thinks. He uses such amazing examples to represent whiteness that it just makes sense in his claims.

1 comment:

  1. I like this. We should discuss this more in class...Laura

    ReplyDelete