Monday, March 31, 2014

Ximena, 6

I have always had a bit of a problem with the use of "I" in an essay. We were always thought to never use it because we weren't professors and it was also not professional. During my second year in Hunter, a professor went on an insane tangent in class in which she talked about how enriching and progressive the use of "I" was. It made sense... I dared to do it in her assignments, but only in hers. In peer review sessions for other classes I cringed reading "I think," "I believe," "I'm convinced." Eventually, I got over the fear of the notorious "I." I mean, the few students that use it, did so in an interesting and intellectual way. It always remained in the back of my mind.
When we did our first peer review session I could not keep this issue to myself and not because it bothered me but because it felt right to bring it up. I'm very excited about our Narrative Essay because I can freely talk from my point of view….without being afraid of anyone really judging my work. Also, these blogposts are something new to me. I've never has to do them for any classes so this is a fun experience.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment