Friday, May 9, 2014

Ximena, 14

How blinded we are when we go to the supermarket to shop for our groceries. Until today, the term of brownwashing still has an effect on me. My dad come home eager to show me a product that is "good" for the environment that I can clearly see how bad it actually is. The place where we buy our groceries recently changed their plastic bags from white to green. No it does not mean they are using tall, resistant, reusable, made-from-recycled-bottles green bags. They are buying the same type of plastic bag, the ones that need to be doubled to carry your milk, except that these come in green. A loud, annoying, leafy kind of green that can be seen miles away. I must admit I was fooled at first, I thought finally we were being conscious about the environment.
I am amazed at how much I have learned about us as people and how we really do believe we are the final end of the universe. I have found myself having more existential thoughts lately but not because I am having a rough day and I think the world is out to get me or because I have a lot of work and don't want to get it done but because I look at the big picture and everything around me keeps moving.
Natural disasters occur and us humans are nothing against mother nature.
Still, as if I did not learned anything I use the excuse of "saving our planet" to my benefit. I want to stop polluting so I bought a cute reusable bottle and all I drink now is water. I try to buy organic, because it feels like I'm doing something right for planet earth. I'm walking places and running more because I want to "enjoy" nature. I carry my own bag to the supermarket because I want to avoid using their ugly bags. Now, I'm even thinking of what community service projects to join to make my neighborhood cleaner. These new traits are amazing! They sure sound great but is mother nature nodding her head in approval with these new life decisions? I don't know but it is satisfying as hell. Can I get any more anthropocentric than that? I think not. The only thing that keeps me sane is that at least I am able to tell the difference.
It's past 3am and I should probably get some sleep but late night ramblings seems like a better idea. Last week we spoke about how the experiences of our ancestors do in fact have an effect on our genetics and I could not help but relate that to 1995's Waterworld with Kevin Costner. A futuristic film that develops out in the sea because most of earth is flooded. The movie begins with Costner standing on what seems to be his boat. He pees into something that filters his urine and turns it into water. He then uses it to water his plant. As he stares out towards the horizon, the camera pans to his profile and behind his ears a set of gills becomes visible. MEANING THAT, the world has probably been flooded for a very long time. Long enough for people to adapt to it. I felt like Darwin, without knowing it, the first time I watched them film. I was able to identify that he had developed traits that allowed him to live in this new atmosphere.
Okay, enough. I'm going to spend my weekend thinking of a place to observe and burry my face in a thesaurus to find new words to describe it.
Happy last weeks of the semester & happy anthropocentrism.

No comments:

Post a Comment