Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Ximena, 12

I wish I recalled the podcast that mentioned something about the internet affecting our attention span, so I could give them some credit. They said that the ads thrown at our face and quick attention grabbing article titles cater to our now short attention span. It makes so much sense that sometimes I find myself reading on new technological advances when I was just working on a history paper. Perhaps, I may have very little self control and may have adopted procrastination as my favorite hobby.
Yeah, I admit it there is no other hobby like procrastination and the best part is that my room is never cleaner than when I have to write paper. Also, I read about the coolest things.
We spoke a bit about synaesthesia and I came across a really awesome article about it. I had never heard of it and was kind of blown away by it. "How we all cold benefit from synaesthesia,"from theguardian.com,  mentions two famous synaesthetes: Pharrell Williams and Lad Gaga.
"Synaesthesia, [is] the neurological condition that causes a blending of the senses – colours can be connected to letters and numbers, smells and tastes to music or touch to vision – has long been linked to creativity." There various types of synaesthesia and they vary depending on what senses are being affected. The difficulties the scientists in the field once faced have finally shifted away from trying to prove this is an actual condition to figuring out how this condition can help the ones that do not have it. For example, they want to see how much synaesthesia affects creativity and how children that do not have it can be stimulated through their senses. Word tests have been administered in which words are represented by different colors and then the test takers are trained to learn these words. After the memorizing session it is shown that more words are learned when associated with a color. Scientists believe that tests like these can be administered to people recovering from brain injuries to heal faster. How mesmerizing is this? I am blown away because when I was younger I used to watch a lot of television and in some rare occasions hearing a word on a show or the news would trigger me to smell and almost taste that word. I very clearly remember it happened with the words coffee, chocolate, and tobacco. I don't think I have some sort of minor synaesthesia or that I am the next Lady Gaga but it is an incredibly interesting to read about instead of doing homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment