Friday, May 9, 2014

KayJoon #9


It’s story time again from my latest trip. I couldn’t go to my beloved California without going to the beach. Since I was in the Bay Area, I went along Hwy. 1 and drove south towards Santa Cruz, hitting up all the cool beaches and cliffs along the way. They were all great and everything I remembered about the Pacific Coast, but there was one that especially stuck out because of what we found there. We walked across some train tracks buried under sand and started making our way towards the water. There were only a couple of people around and as I got closer to them I noticed none of them were wearing clothes. It turns out we stumbled along an official nude beach, but that’s not even the cool part. Laying out about 10 ft. from the shore was a lump of gray that looked like it might be alive. I approached it carefully and when I arrived in it’s space, it turned around and opened it’s beautiful big eyes. It was a seal! I’ve seen quite a few seals before but not this close and in such a vulnerable space. It started making it’s seal noises and I was laughing and petting it and doing some seal-like yoga poses next to it until I noticed why it was on the shore in the first place. It was bleeding right under it’s flippers and there were scratches all over the bottom of his body. Immediately I whipped out my phone and dialed the number for Marine Animal Rescue. After describing the seal and where I was I expected them to send someone over, instead they told me that “nature would run it’s coarse” and that was it. I couldn’t believe these “rescuers”! I eventually found someone wandering around who knew what to do and who to call. I’m pleased to say this seal got to live on. I’ve included a photo of him so you can see why I couldn’t find a better word to describe his eyes besides “big”.  


No comments:

Post a Comment