Monday, April 7, 2014

Ximena, 8

While running to catch the bus that would take me to class on time I was distracted by two brand new recycling bins on the corner of 82nd Street and 37th Avenue (Jackson Heights). My eyes could not believe it. The garbage is hardly collected from the regular trash cans and now we had recycling tins?! Tall, silver, gorgeous bins one with a green top and the other with a blue top. Which means the chance to recycle cans, glass, bottles and also paper is no available to the people of Jackson Heights! At least those who walk on specific streets. I missed the bus so I just walked the rest of the way to the train station and the story does not stop there... I saw more of those tins all through 82nd Street and along Roosevelt Avenue.
 
I finally got myself to do some research on this and found out that last year Deputy mayor of Operations Caswell Holloway and Sanitation Commissioner John J Doherty reported the distribution of more than 4,000 newly redesigned public space recycling containers. Their design is supposed to be modern and "will better blend into the streetscape," uh one thing is for sure, they stand out. I was on the "Jackson Heights Beautification Group" page and I saw someone posted about seeing the bins as well so they are being noticed. This may be the last wave of bins to be distributed in the five boroughs as the article mentions that the DSNY (The City of New York Department of Sanitation) will place these on busy/commercial streets in the city up until the beginning of this year.

Lastly, I should mention that the silver bins are Bloomberg's effort to recycle more as a city and have less waste be sent out to landfills outside of the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment