Friday, April 25, 2014

Paul Hunter Zaid #11

Spring Break Part Deux

     Part of living in rural Minnesota is being so close and in touch with nature, agriculture, and animals. I stopped by the zoo of Alexander Ramsey Park in my hometown of Redwood Falls, MN. It's the largest city park in the state of Minnesota with a small zoo, it's a great place to see animals such as Buffalo up close. 



Another common sight in Minnesota are large swine and poultry barns, these large barns dot the rural landscape and are a reminder of how strong agriculture is to the state, as well as a reminder to one where our food comes from. 

The home of pork chops!



Growing up on a farm we always had barn/yard cats-we never knew where they came from. Yet, they lived in the barn and always keep a control on the mice. Of course as a kid I always tried to catch one, and of course I even succeeded many times:)


Another common fixture is the old abandoned farmhouse. I remember as a child when an old man lived in this house, it's been abandoned for nearly 30 years now. Sixteen years ago I remember exploring this house, it was both creepy and exciting to think of the history of this home and its inhabitants. 


What I miss the most about Minnesota is the wide open space of the country. The openness and vastness gives one the opposite feeling than that of being in Manhattan. I used to dislike the open country, after living in NYC for 2 years I totally miss it! I would never have guessed I would think or feel that way. 



The cluster of trees to the left is my parent's farm site.

No comments:

Post a Comment