Tuesday, April 8, 2014

KayJoon #6


Today (Sunday), I was in midtown with my parents and we remembered the flower show was going on at Macy’s, so we decided to drop by and check it out. Overall, it was pretty incredible, but I’m not going to spend a whole blog-post pretending to be a botanist; I appreciate the natural beauty of flowers and flower arranging is definitely a talent I admire, I would actually like to share my thoughts. Firstly, I think it’s awesome that a smidge of the wild is brought to NYC every year through a big name corporation, ironic, but awesome. While there are a few botanical gardens and parks around the city, our eyes don’t always get the chance to experience the beauty of other places unless we go to other places. I walked around the entire store thinking about how great it all was and how lucky we are even when we’re unlucky with living in a big, gray, city and then I heard that after the showcase period is over, all of the flowers get thrown out. Did that make me appreciate the flowers any less? No. But, did I somehow feel immoral smelling dying flowers that were on display in a store unnecessarily? Yes. Of course, these flowers were going to die anyway, but growing them for this purpose and forcing chemicals on to them to in order to last and, just the whole process of it in general seemed like a big waste. But then I got to think-who is all this for then if not for us to appreciate? Or, is there no ‘who’? It just is?

No comments:

Post a Comment