Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ximena, 10


I can't remember who's paper we were work-shopping but we were at the terrace and while we were discussing it, I looked down and saw an ant making its way on a crack of a red tile. The combination of both scenes provoked a bit of an existentialist crisis that although I tried to suppress it stayed on my mind long enough to dedicate a post to.

Somehow, every time we look at an article, essay, classmate's paper, or documentary a bunch of thoughts about humanity overwhelm me and result in an episode of existentialism.

While I looked at the ant walking across the tile I wondered if it was on its way to English class and if maybe they would be having class out here on the terrace, like us. Of course this thought is as sillier as the last but I could not help but imagine that. Then I wondered if there are greater beings, something like a god of some sort, looking at us like I looked at the ant. It occurred to me that we must look insignificant and almost humorous from a higher level like I looked at the ant. Then I thought about how nature, in this case the ant, continues its path despite of us humans. The ant did not care we were holding a workshop. It struck me how we really are part of something greater. I suppressed my thoughts as soon as possible and commented on the paper we were reading… all in an attempt to put that stressing scene in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment