Monday, April 28, 2014

Gabriella Grimes Entry #11

The Darwin documentary we watched in the last class was actually much more interesting than I thought it would be, and I'm actually sure I've seen either the whole film or many snippets of it previously. I thought it did a very good job of representing both sides of the argument but I couldn't help but to notice how the Evolutionists spoke VS. the Creationists. The former were stating mostly facts and not so much personal ideologies, where as the latter were doing mostly the opposite, and I think this says something about who believes in certain things. More "logical" people who think in facts are usually the people I've encountered who believe in Evolution, whereas people who think with their emotions are usually those who believe in Creationism. There's really no real answer as to which of these is fact because humans only know so much. For all we know both of these things could be fact, which I would really enjoy to be true. There seems to be an idea that religion and science cannot work hand in hand--it's either one or the other and you have to choose. My older brother always said he believed in God, yet he is the most technical person I know. He'll pull apart a computer and put it back together and list facts about random things nobody really cares about, but he has a sense of spirituality. I honestly feel that's the best way a person can be. There's nothing wrong with taking either side of the argument, but I do strongly believe that humans should remain open to the possibilities. There's a very funny sketch by Louis C.K. in which he says that people who are absolutely sure that there is not a God should basically think that over; he jokes that an Atheist tells him they do not believe in God because they have never seen him, he asks them if they're sure and if they, "checked downstairs."

I think faith is an important part of the human experience and that everyone, whether they want to admit it or not, believes in something or really wants to. There's nothing wrong with being a scientist who believes in God or a Christian who really enjoys learning about dinosaurs. An open mind is the best thing for everyone, and as long as we are not physically or mentally harming others in our pursuit of the truth or the meaning of this all, we should be allowed to believe in anything we please. I for one am not sure if there is a God; I'm not sure if Evolution is the reality of how mankind came to be or Creationism is, but in the short span of time I have in the indefinite length of time the universe has and will ever exist, I can only attempt to understand. I want to believe that God created science for man to understand more about who we are, and I want to believe that one day there won't be an "Evolution VS Creationism" debate, but rather an understanding among humankind that neither of these things are important enough to separate us and help us grow and advance in every possible way.

No comments:

Post a Comment